Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"Are you ready? Are you ready? Let's get it on!"



I've started a new hobby over the past few weeks, courtesy of one of my other favorite hobbies - that being Netflix.

UFC. The Ultimate Fighting Championship.

You've probably seen the commercials plugging the upcoming pay-per-view fights every month. You've probably stumbled across Spike TV during an Ultimate Fight Night special or episode of The Ultimate Fighter reality series.

It's definitely catching steam as not only the leading brand of MMA (mixed martial arts) but also making MMA the new "it" sport. Check out any UFC pay-per-view and you'll see the likes of Cindy Crawford, Nicolas Cage, Pamela Anderson, and Michael Clarke Duncan in the audience.

I'm still in the learning stages. Only a few of the big names ring a bell - Ken Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Randy Coture (pictured; current UFC Heavyweight Champion and the toughest 43-year-old I know of), Matt Hughes. But I dig the science that goes into the fights - the take downs and submissions, the stand ups and knock-out punches.

What really shines through is the personalities of the fighters. That's really what sells it for me. You get to see how they live, how they train, their arrogant comments about how they're going to submit their opponent. It's not too far removed from pro wrestling in that sense, and I've been a fan of that since I hit double digits.

Check it out sometime and let me know what you think. It's not for everyone but if you like combat sports, it might be right up your alley.

Here's Couture as a recent guest of FOX News' "Your World with Neil Cavuto"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home