Saturday, July 12, 2008

"Well she was an American Girl / Raised on Promises..."

I've never flown first class. Been on lots of planes over 26 years but never first class.

But after last night at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, I kinda get the appeal.

I've been to lots of concerts, especially over the past two years. Never sat as close as sixth row. And after last night, I don't think I can ever go back to lawn seating.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers tore the place down last night. It's a shame too, because after "airport security" was out patting people down before Dave Matthews a few weeks back, I thought it better to keep my good camera at home and not deal with having to leave it at the info counter. Of course, security ended up being lax last night and bringing the camera wouldn't have been an issue at all.

I was able to get a few shots with my work cell phone but I don't think it does the situation justice.

When you're that close to the stage, you're sitting in (or standing beside) folding chairs, rather than the typical stadium seating. Everyone around you is standing. You're packed in like sardines on what was already a hot Carolina night. And even though you're not drinking, after a while - with the heat and crowding, especially after a long week at work - you do start feeling a little inebriated.

And I was dead center to the stage, so getting out of the crowd for some hydration and a T-shirt was a lot of effort. Finding my seat again was a headache and a half.

The set list to last night's show isn't yet on the band's website but through a little Google-ing, I tracked it down. Very "singles" heavy, which is how I like it.

You Wreck Me



Listen To Her Heart



I Won't Back Down



Even The Losers



Free Fallin'



Last Dance With Mary Jane



Cabin Down Below



End Of The Line



Breakdown



Saving Grace



A Face In The Crowd



Honey Bee



You Don't Know How It Feels



Learning To Fly
- The acoustic performance is perhaps my favorite song by the band. Of course, I spent most of the song trying to find my seat after getting my drink and shirt.



Don't Come Around Here No More



Refugee



Encores:

Runnin' Down A Dream



Mystic Eyes



American Girl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home