Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Playlist: Superheroes


The ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Spidey-sense. Adamantium claws.
If you get any of those references, you were once 10. Or maybe, somewhere deep down inside, you still are. But don't worry, you're in good company. After all, 21 million people this past weekend saw a leather-suited Christian Bale beat up a painted-face Heath Ledger.

For this week's Playlist, I thought I would spotlight some of the songs we've come to associate with the world of comic book super heroes. Some tunes you might remember, some you might not. Some you wish you could forget.

So now, fueled by the inspiration of Stan Lee, Bob Kane, Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster comes this...

“Spider-Man” (1967)
Composed by Paul Francis Webster and Bob Harris
Theme from the Spider-Man cartoon series


Spider-Man’s first appearance: Amazing Fantasy #15, Aug. 1962



Spider-Man, Spider-Man,
Does whatever a spider can
Spins a web, any size,

Catches thieves just like flies
Look out!
Here comes the Spider-Man


You know how it goes. Just about every kid does. In fact, my parents have an audio recording of me, at 2 years old, doing my best to sing the song. It's become synonymous with the web-slinger so much so that it's been included in all three of the Tobey Maguire films, with vocalist Michael Buble performing the song for “Spider-Man 2.”

Remy Zero
"Save Me" (2001)
Theme from “Smallville”


Superman’s first appearance: Action Comics #1, June 1938



Somebody save me
And two warm hands break right through me
Somebody save me
I don't care how you do it
Just stay
Stay
Come on

I've been waiting for you

The theme song to The CW’s Superman franchise has been the band’s biggest, and only, hit to date. Kinda like the Rembrandts’ “I’ll Be There For You” from “Friends.” I got into “Smallville” a few years back – a glimpse into the teenage years of Clark Kent – but lost interest when they danced around the Lex Luther bad guy turn one time too many. But the song’s still good.

“Theme from Superman” (1979)
Composed by John Williams
From The Superman movie soundtrack




So iconic that it was used in the famous Seinfeld clip show, which aired immediately before the series finale in 1998. Of course, Jerry Seinfeld being a hardcore Superman fan probably played a role in that.

“The Batman Theme” (1989)
Composed by Danny Elfman
From The Batman movie soundtrack


Batman’s first appearance: Detective Comics #27, May 1939



As a refresher, this is the theme used in the first two Tim Burton films and somewhat sampled for the 1992 cartoon series. For the record, I always thought Michael Keaton was an underrated Batman, and actor. “Multiplicity” aside, he did good work. As a journalist, I especially enjoyed “Live from Baghdad.”

“Batman Theme” (1966)
Composed by Neal Hefti
From The Batman TV series




Best lyrics ever. Actually, no. If the goal of a composer is to have their work remembered for generations, Hefti succeeded. The downside, of course, is this is an awful song for an awful TV show. The only positive from the 1960s Batman is Adam West is now famous enough to be the mayor on “Family Guy.”

Evanescence
"Bring Me to Life" (2003)
From the Daredevil soundtrack


Daredevil’s first appearance: Daredevil #1, April 1964



Wake me up inside
Wake me up inside
Call my name and save me from the dark
Bid my blood to run
Before I come undone
Save me from the nothing I’ve become


On the heels of the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises, “Daredevil” was universally panned as a comic book film. Of course, 2003 was a bad year for Ben Affleck. “Gigli.” Jennifer Lopez. Need I go on? But the soundtrack did well, anchored by what would go on to be one of the top songs of the year and a breakout hit for the alt rock band from Little Rock, AR.

“The Lonely Man Theme” (1978)
Composed by Joe Harnell
From The Incredible Hulk TV series


The Hulk’s first appearance: Incredible Hulk #1, May 1962





As a kid, I watched the Hulk every Sunday growing up. But in retrospect, I’m not sure why. It wasn’t the most uplifting show in the world. In fact, it was downright depressing. And it never got more depressing than the end of each show when Bill Bixby hitchhiked his way to a new town, hoping to someday find a cure and become normal. And in the background of those scenes played the now famous “sad walking away music.” Sniff.

Stone Temple Pilots
"Big Empty" (1994)
From The Crow movie soundtrack


The Crow’s first appearance: 1989





Time to take her home
Her dizzy head is conscience laden
Time to wait too long
To wait too long
These conversations kill


Man dies violently. Man is brought back to life, or pseudo life, to right the wrongs and make the bad people pay. How great a concept is that? And had Brandon Lee survived the making of the movie, the lead actor and son of Bruce Lee was accidentally killed late in the filming schedule, it would have made him a much bigger star than he was. This kinda flashed in my head after seeing the new Batman film this past weekend. Heath Ledger, anyone?

Mark Collie
"In Time" (2004)
From The Punisher movie soundtrack


The Punisher’s first appearance: Amazing Spider-Man #129, Feb. 1974





You know your days are numbered,
Count them one by one,
Like notches in the handle of an outlaw's gun.
You can outrun the devil, if you try,
But you'll never outrun the hands of time


From a lyric standpoint, this is my favorite song on the list. Mark Collie, a country singer / songwriter, walks into a diner, pulls out his guitar, stares at Frank Castle (portrayed by Thomas Jane) and sings about how he’s going to kill him. How cool is that? Of course, Collie ends up getting his throat slit. Such is life.

That’s what I got for this week, true believers. Check back next week for more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to take this post and put in a cellophane sleeve to preserve it like a mint first edition Marvel comic.

Then I'm going to play D&D -- cause that's how I roll.

11:18 PM  
Blogger The Mike said...

Awesome playlist. I'm a little partial to the Superman ones, but I do like how you added a few of the lesser known ones, like Crow and Punisher. Great job!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home