Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Playlist: Garth Brooks

Since 1989, his has been one of the biggest names in music, selling 115 million albums worldwide and earning countless accolades along the way.

He put country music one step closer to the mainstream, shattered records and sold out stadiums from Texas to Ireland.

And for the past seven years, he’s been retired. Until now.

During a press conference Aug. 18, Garth Brooks announced the release of a new box set, ‘The Ultimate Hits,’ featuring 30 songs – including four new tracks – as well as a music video DVD.

His career arguably “jumped the shark” with 1997’s Central Park concert but there’s no denying the groundbreaking success Garth enjoyed in the 80s and 90s that left a lasting impact on both the country and pop charts.

In preparation for this week’s column, I’ve been listening to a lot of Garth songs. They remind me of being a 4th grader in Oklahoma and watching the music video of ‘The Dance’ for the first time … watching him perform on various awards shows … and seeing him in person at the Grand Ole Opry in 1992.

With that said, here are five of my favorite songs from one of the most important careers in country music history.

Friends in Low Places (1990)

The first single from Brooks’ ‘No Fences’ album spent four weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard country charts and cemented Brooks as a major player. Arguably his signature song, the party favorite ranked No. 6 on CMT’s 100 Greatest Songs of Country Music. Brooks later retooled the song in live performances to add a third, more rowdy, verse.




If Tomorrow Never Comes (1989)

Co-written by Brooks, this single from his self-titled debut album was his first to reach the top of the country charts. It has since been covered by the likes of Ronan Keating and Barry Manilow and was performed on ‘American Idol’ by Elliott Yamin during the show’s fifth season.

If Tomorrow Never Comes - Garth Brooks

Add to My Profile More Videos


Unanswered Prayers (1991)

The story of a man introducing his wife to his high school girlfriend was the second hit single from 1990’s ‘No Fences’ album, continuing a trend of ballads which resonated with both the country and pop audience. Co-written by Brooks, the song was a No. 1 hit on the Billboard country charts and has since been included on a total of four of his albums.




To Make You Feel My Love (1998)

The theme song of the Sandra Bullock / Harry Connick Jr. film ‘Hope Floats’ was written by Bob Dylan. And of all the artists who have covered Dylan’s work, he himself said this was his favorite cover. Surprised me too, considering Jimi Hendrix’ take on ‘All Along the Watchtower.’ And of course, the song earned Brooks another No. 1 on the Billboard country charts.

To Make You Feel My Love (video)

Add to My Profile More Videos


The Dance (1990)

Since the age of 9, this has been one of my all-time favorite songs. Frequently played at funerals, the country anthem won both Song of the Year and Video of the Year awards from the Academy of Country Music and ranked No. 14 on CMT’s 100 Greatest Songs of Country Music. An edited version was played in heavy rotation following the 2001 death of Dale Earnhardt Sr.

“You know, I’d never compare myself to the folks that are seen in the video,” Brooks says at the end of the song’s music video. “But if for some reason, god forbid, I should leave this world unexpectedly I hope they play ‘The Dance’ for me. Cause, I mean, that’s it. I could have missed the pain but I’d had to miss the dance. …And I wouldn’t miss this for the world.”

Me neither.

garth brooks - the dance

Add to My Profile More Videos


So that's my list - what's yours? Shoot me an e-mail at grahamcawthon@shelbystar.com and it could be featured in an upcoming column.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home