Monday, June 18, 2007

Walking Tour of Low Income Shelby

Don't you hate it when you have big plans and forget to do them?

Me too!

I went into the various low income neighborhoods of Shelby earlier today with Larry Hill, a convicted armed robber who I profiled in The Star a week ago Sunday. We visited West Shelby, North Shelby, Ramblewood, etc. as Larry learned about the problems of the people that live there and discussed what he would live to see done to give those people, especially the kids, a better chance to succeed.

Good story and we got a lot of feedback from residents. Yes help is needed from outside these communities but you might be surprised by the initiative already shown by these residents.

I had hoped to take a bunch of photographs to post here and, while I did have my camera with me, I forgot to use it until the tail end of our tour, when we were coming into contact with folks that didn't want their photo taken for various reasons.

Ah well. At least Jeff Melton was with me to get his award-winning shots in. Look for those when the story hits the paper, hopefully later this week.

Also be on the look out for a multi-part video series where you will hear first-hand from the people in these neighborhoods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home