Thursday, June 14, 2007

I Know You Are But What Am I?

I was watching Spike TV's Guy Choice Awards the other night (being a guy, it seemed the thing to do).

... Just think of all aspects of guy-dom celebrated under one roof with awards handed out by and to celebrities, from Adam Sandler to Chuck Liddell. And plenty of attractive young ladies thrown in there as well.

So imagine my surprise when one of the presenters was none other than Pee Wee Herman, who just happened to get the biggest applause of the night and a standing ovation before he even said a word.

Younger readers might not 'get' Pee Wee but when I was in elementary school Pee Wee's Playhouse was a Saturday morning show I couldn't miss. Right up there with Camp Candy and The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

(For the record, I'm 25. So we're talking late 80s / early 90s)

Chairry, Clockey, Floory, Globey (Notice a trend here? Throw a 'y' on an object and it's a character), Jambi, the King of Cartoons

And of course the long line of recurring gags, from "the secret word" - and then screaming whenever it's said - to "Connect the dots, la la la la" to the title of this blog.

The show won 22 Emmys over its 5-year run, which ain't too shabby. Hey, where's your 22 Emmys, Barney? Blue's Clues? Tellytubbies?

You know, now that I think about it, maybe I should go fishing for Pee Wee's Playhouse on Netflix. I love reliving my childhood via DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home