Thursday, May 31, 2007

To those who know Shannon White

One of the true frustrations of this job is making sure both sides of the story are represented as best they can be. Sometimes that's more doable than others.

Take for instance last week's fatal hit-and-run. We know someone is dead. We know the impact tore the side mirror from the car. We know the driver didn't stick around afterwards. We know the driver was speeding.

All that information comes straight from highway patrol, that's not me talking.

And we can safely assume, based on the fact it's summer and the sun is setting later and later each day, it couldn't have been all that dark outside when the boy was struck by the car somewhere between 8 and 8:30 p.m.

What we didn't know until yesterday was the identity of the driver who came forward the following day and, to his credit, has been cooperative with highway patrol's investigation.

Obviously if I had been provided his name when I wrote the initial story, I would have attempted to get in touch with him so he could share his version. Instead I had to wait until yesterday and, when I did call, the woman who answered hung up when I told her who I was.

Such is life.

Here are a few responses to yesterday's story from shelbystar.com, obviously by those who know the driver:



I hope everyone Is happy. Cause I know for a fact that MR. white Is suffering.

I have known Shannon for about seven years and hes not the person hes being accussed of being he is a caring and LOVING person like all of you dont put him down pray for him to this has been hard on everyone and accidents do happen.

THE PERSON HAS NOT BEEN CHARGED! WHY DOES IT MAKE YOU HAPPY TO KNOW THE NAME? THE FACT IS, PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! THE TRUTH WILL BE TOLD AND THAT IS A PROMISE!

THE NEWS PAPER IS NOT ALWAYS CORRECT! GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT FIRST!



I completely agree, the newspaper is not always correct. But we strive to be. And if Mr. White's side of the story is lacking in the newspaper it's because he and those close to him have declined to comment.

I would be more than happy to interview Mr. White, his family, or friends so we can provide a more balanced view of the kind of person he is.

If you see them, let them know.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone tried to interview Shannon White since his arraignment?

Also what about the court date, has that been decided?

Finally what did Shannon decide at his arraignment, did he plead guilty or not guilty?

Just thought I would ask since there hasn't been mention in the paper lately....

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home