Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Playlist: Springsteen Round 2

This weekend I’ll be heading down to Atlanta. But it won’t be for the food of The Varsity, the tour of the CNN Center or a pass to see the pandas at Zoo Atlanta; though I’ll be sure to partake of each. The main reason I’ll be in town is to see Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band perform at Philips Arena.

I profiled Springsteen in The Playlist back in August by mentioning my five favorite songs. To quickly recap – and in no particular order – “Born to Run,” “Downbound Train,” “Streets of Philadelphia,” “I’m On Fire,” and “The River.”

On the verge of my first Springsteen concert, here are a handful of notable mentions. Agree? Disagree? Shoot me an e-mail at grahamcawthon@shelbystar.com and your comments might end up featured in a future column.

Glory Days

Album: Born in the USA (1984)
Peak position on the charts: No. 5
Bet you didn’t know: Springsteen performed the song on the final NBC airing of “Late Night with David Letterman” on June 25, 1993.

Radio Nowhere

Album: Magic (2007)
Peak position on the charts: No. 102
Bet you didn’t know: The song earned Springsteen two of his 18 Grammy awards.

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Album: The Ghost of Tom Joad (1995)
Peak position on the charts: N/A
Bet you didn’t know: The album, named after the character from “The Grapes of Wrath,” was an acoustic throwback to the Nebraska album and earned Springsteen a Grammy for Best Contemporary Folk Album.

Atlantic City

Album: Nebraska (1982)
Peak position on the charts: N/A
Bet you didn’t know: Among those who have covered the bleak song in concert are Eddie Vedder, Counting Crows, Chris Cornell and country singer John Anderson.

Jersey Girl

Live/1975-1985 (1986)
Peak position on the charts: N/A
Bet you didn’t know: Springsteen’s live performance of the song, written by Tom Waits, was featured in the closing credits of the 2004 Kevin Smith film of the same name.

That’s what I got for this week. Suggestions, comments or concerns? Shoot me an e-mail at grahamcawthon@shelbystar.com.

2 Comments:

Blogger Graham said...

A little feedback I got permission to post here:


Graham:
 
I have been a big Springsteen fan for a long time. I like all of the ones that you put on your list, but want to add a few more great ones:
 
Rosalita – absolutely amazing song, particularly live
4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
Born to Run
Fire
Jungleland


 
Have fun at the concert!
 
Jordan Gold
VP Products and Content
Freedom Interactive

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I miss it???? You didn't include anything from the Rising? That alubm is unreal.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home