Friday, January 25, 2008

Pop Music in Commercials

So I was driving into work this morning, relieved that it looked to be a relatively easy day to end the week, and started fiddling around with the iPod, trying to find that perfect song to fit the mood.

3,000 songs and it still takes me 10 minutes to flip through until I find something I like...

I stopped around 27 ... or 43.

Van Halen - Right Now



And that got me thinking - Remember when this was used for the short-lived Crystal Pepsi line (1992-93)?



And then it got me thinking some more - Wouldn't it be a fun Playlist idea to cover some hit songs that have been used in advertising campaigns?

For example...

Johnny Cash, “I’ve Been Everywhere” (Choice Hotels)
The Cars, “Just What I Needed” (Circuit City)
Scorpions, “Rock You Like a Hurricane” (TGI Fridays)
Robert Palmer, “Simply Irresistible” (Applebee’s)
Iggy Pop, “Lust for Life” (Royal Caribbean)


Thinking I might get this in for next week's Playlist if I can get some extra suggestions on what's worth including...

Here are a few links to get you started:

USA Today blog: Pop Candy
Slate.com
The Monitor

2 Comments:

Blogger Gabe Whisnant said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Gabe Whisnant said...

Forget Crystal Pepsi, bring back the Crystal Gravy (one of my all-time favorite SNL commericials) ...

http://www.zippyvideos.com/3298308606633746/snl_gravy

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home