Thursday, January 24, 2008

"Game Over"

Some of the reporters, myself, and design editor Emily Killian met up for dinner last night which was followed soon thereafter by an impromptu Nintendo marathon.

And we're not talking Super Nintendo or the Wii here. I mean the actual 1985 NES, complete with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt.

(Drew and I took it upon ourselves to hook the system up when no one was looking.)

Drew dominated both Super Mario and Emily's generic baseball game. I found that, with age, I moved across the screen with a bit more hesitation. I wasn't concerned over getting coins or mushrooms - I just didn't want to die.

Never was a big fan of the first Super Mario Bros. anyway. I always thought 2 and 3 (with the raccoon suit) were a lot more fun.

According to Wikipedia, the NES bundle package that came with the console, controllers, and Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt sold for $200 in 1988. So I guess an Xbox that sells for the same price today isn't so expensive after all?

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily Killian said...

Well, I don't know about him dominating baseball... after all, my player did hit a two-run homerun and he only won the game 6-4....

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you go to GameStop or any other place where you trade in games for cash, they're tell you that they don't give you cash for NES Super Mario Bros. cartigages. Apparently there were so many made that they're entirely worthless. I tried to trade in one for cash they told me "No, we don't accept cash trade-in's for that game... it's basically worthless." (and that was several years ago).

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home