Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Blog that has Nothing to do with the Weather...

Stopped by Leatherwood's to kill some time on this rainy (and suddenly snowy) Saturday afternoon. The comic store, a 20-year fixture in uptown Shelby, only has a few more days before it closes its doors for good.
I grew up on comic books and while I haven't been too interested in them in probably 15 years, I spent at least an hour today digging through what remains at the store.
And in response to some comments posted about today's article on Leatherwoods - Nothing more than immature adults acting like kids...
Liking comic books or having childhood memories tied to comic books has no bearing on your maturity or whether you act like a kid. A Star city editor and two reporters (one being a girl) digging through comic book boxes this morning should be evidence enough of that.

2 Comments:

Blogger E-Joe said...

You tell em Graham! People just have to be contrary and uptight, I guess.

I count the Leatherwoods among my friends..They are great people! I've missed the bluegrass shows in the Opry on Saturday nights there, and I really hate to see Leatherwoods close. It truly is an island unto itself in Shelby.

Maybe you and I oughta buy it and run it ourselves on the side.

Joe Greene
Multimedia Sales
The Star

9:39 PM  
Blogger steveL said...

Thanks to all the great support over the 20 years from our fans and comic family, we have had an enjoyable presence in Uptown Shelby. And as for "adults acting like kids", I'd say that if (when) we loose the "kid" in our self, the rest of our life has much less meaning. I have been a "kid" for a long time and will probably always be a kid...reading comics, playing music, joking and laughing...but that IS living not just a life. Thanks to all the loyal customers who have showed up (without being asked) to help with moving and express thanks for what we have "been" for the past 20 yrs. for them. We will miss all those "kids" of all ages a lot...that is the hardest part of "the end". Being a "kid" is what it is all about....

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home