Friday, March 23, 2007

Betty Grant Retires


She doesn't wear a badge but if you've called Shelby Police or went in to get a report over the past few years, you've probably spoken with Betty Grant.

Mrs. Grant, who joined the department in 2001, retired from her job in records Friday. She'll continue to work part-time, helping out when and where needed, but will now have the opportunity to spend more time at home with her husband.

Mrs. Grant was presented with a rocking chair and several bags of goodies during an emotional send-off this afternoon at city chambers.

I grabbed a few moments of her time after the ceremony.


GC: Tell me what brought you to Shelby PD in the first place.

BG: I just answered an ad in the paper. They were looking for a crossing guard. I started out as a crossing guard. I worked part-time for the first year and then I got hired into records and have been there ever since. I love the people.

GC: What about that job kept you coming back each day?

BG: It's interesting, it changed every day. It was never the same. The public, they change every day. The media, they change periodically. It's just being a part of the community and I just enjoyed being with all the people.

GC: For the folks that aren't aware of exactly what you do, would you mind explaining that?

BG: Well it's a multi-task job. We answer the phones, we direct all the calls, we put some calls in for the officers. We enter them and then send them to communications. We're right there with communications, we work there with them. We answer the window, we get wreck reports, we file all the reports, we enter all the reports. Anything that's entered into the computer, we do it. We do it all. And then we have to file everything and keep everything organized so everybody knows where to find the reports when they're looking for them - and all the media gets theirs.

GC: We appreciate that. So you're just doing part-time now?

BG: I'm going to be working whenever they need help at night, part-time. And covering (in records) for Gloria (Philbeck) whenever she takes a day off or takes vacation. So I'm just going to be part-time now.

GC: And spending more time at home...

BG: I'm going to try, yeah, and spend time with my husband.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home