Monday, May 07, 2007

Weekend Trip to Virginia

Just got back from a weekend trip to Southwestern Virginia. I had some friends graduating from Radford University and, as a 2005 alum, I was glad to get back up there and see how the small college town has changed since last I stopped by (a CVS and Applebee's are among the new businesses built within the past 6 months ... the town seems to be doing very well).

I also used the trip to visit Virginia Tech. I spent the majority of my college years 15 miles down the road from Tech and what happened April 16 was beyond surreal. I stopped by campus Saturday morning. The clouds were grey. Many people were around but one was talking. It felt like a funeral. Norris Hall, where most of the killings occured, was blocked off. I wouldn't be surprised to see that building either quickly torn down or used exclusively as a memorial. I can't imagine having to take a class in there after what happened.

Photo captions: A storefront across the street from Tech; the existing memorial in the middle of campus, each victim's name is written down so friends and family will know where to leave flowers; same from another view; a wider shot; the media signs were placed on buildings throughout campus; Norris Hall, notice the green material attached to a fence surrounding the building; the opposite entrance to the building where friends and family have left notes and items; the name plate; Welcome to Radford; RU sign; RU graduation; my old apartment (left building, top right corner)






















1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best Wishes to your graduating friends! I really feel sad when I recollect as to what happened at Virginia Tech! God bless you and your friends!

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home