Friday, September 01, 2006

The Battle of the 80s Cartoons

Elvis or the Beatles?

The eternal question. You can like Elvis and you can like the Beatles but you can't like each one the same. You have to prefer one over the other. And that answer determines what kind of person you are.

If you're a child of the 80s, like myself, you know there were really only two cartoons to choose from if you were a boy - GI Joe or the Transformers. Sure, you could like both. But there was one you liked more than the other.

Recently, Managing Editor Alan Jenkins went on a tirade about how cool the Transformers were. And when I argued GI Joe were so much better, he scoffed. Yes, he scoffed.

So the debate begins. Which was the better cartoon?





Well, they both had movies and they both had every possible piece of merchandise you can imagine.

But c'mon. The Transformers' acting was stiffer than that Hayden Christensen guy from Star Wars. And a giant robot that can turn into a giant gun? Cheating much? Why don't I just turn myself into a giant nuclear bomb and wipe out Megatron myself?

GI Joe had Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, the two characters that made being a ninja the coolest thing in the world. And GI Joe represented every ethnic group and nationality. Where was the equal opportunity employment over at the Transformers, huh? I don't remember seeing any Hispanic robots.

And where were the giant robot public service announcements? I don't remember seeing those either. But GI Joe cared enough about the kids to teach them important lessons after every episode - like not to touch powerlines and not to go swimming during a thunderstorm.

So ... what's the verdict?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GI Joe

4:28 PM  
Blogger awb said...

I'd have to go with GI Joe.

But as a whole the 80’s were dark days for animated cartoons.

I think I will stick with the original Johnny Quest.

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home