Wednesday, February 22, 2006

This might be the best time in my life...

So I’ve been thinking about something the past few days.

I recently had a conversation with a friend in which she remarked that, sick of the responsibility of the real world, she would go back to kindergarten if she could.

Now me, I hardly remember kindergarten (1984-87 is kinda hazy due to all the illegal substances I was abusing at the time) but looking back now I seem to recall a very restricted environment in which everyone ate together, took naps together, and had story time together. Sounds kinda like a hippie commune now that I think about it.

No me gusta. Too many restrictions.

When I was in college (a whole 9 months ago), looking back on high school and knowing what I know now I would hate to have to go through that all over again. I’m sure most that have gone through the high school experience would agree that it’s very class driven. The cool kids, the jocks, the nerds, the thespians. It’s kinda like prison in which it’s probably in your best interest to join at least one of those groups so you’ll have backup in the event someone tries to steal your pudding cup at lunch.

High school, to me, is a very complex community crammed within one small building. College is a very complex community spread across several miles. I preferred the latter.

I loved college for the simple fact I could do whatever I wanted. Wake up in the morning and have a stuffed up nose? I wouldn’t want to get anyone else sick so it might be best to take the day off. Did your new favorite movie just come out on DVD today? Time for a midnight run to Wal-Mart.

And now that college is over, that’s more or less still the rule. I haven’t had any frivolous sick days but the freedom I enjoy now is such a welcome change from the restrictive yet responsibility-free environment of kindergarten and even high school.

What I’m noticing over the past several weeks is, now that I’ve become accustomed to my job here at The Star, I think going back to school at this point would be a difficult change (and grad school is never out of the question). College was great but how I spend my time now just seems so much more important than going out to the bars on Friday night (not that I’ve given that up on that entirely).

Honestly, how do you go from covering a murder to waking up at noon because you don’t have class until 1? Seems like such a step down.

I’ve been so wrapped up in the inner workings of Shelby since arriving back in October that reverting back to my relaxing time spent in college would definitely take some getting used to.

I guess I’m glad that I don’t sit around and complain about my life and wish I could go back and do things over again. I’m not sure what it says that every time I enter a new stage in my life, while thoroughly nervous about the change, I eventually land on my feet and find my niche. I’m just thankful that things end up that way and I don’t preoccupy myself with the past.

High school was fun and had its moments. It’s over, done, finished. Time to move on. College was a lot more fun. But that, again, has come and gone. Now I’m at The Star. For how long? Long enough for me to learn what I need to. And after then? No clue.

I’m not complaining. After all, the best part about the future is not knowing what’s next…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home